Saturday, August 22, 2009

What If?


Matthew 25:35-40 "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. The righteous will answer him saying, 'Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you? And the King will answer them, "Truly as I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' 

What If?

That is the question I dare to speak about. What If?

What if we were a friend to the kid at school who has none?? What if we said hi to our neighbors today? What if we encouraged our siblings today? What if we let that elderly person take our seat on the bus? What if we had a smile on our face everyday? What if we fed the kids that stare at us with longing and empty stomachs? What if we gave drink to the people that beg for a small sip of the many drinks that we fill our throats with everyday? What if we welcomed that nerdy looking new kid at school to hang out with our friends? What if a homeless man asked for clothes? What if that dying person had someone that cared after them before they passed away? What if we reached out to those people that have sinned just like us and poured into them? 

The list goes on and on...

This is the Lord's call for us- Go serve these people! 

I know for me this list is often a list I overlook and say, "I'll have plenty of time to do this when I'm older and involved with the Church and whatnot." Not until recently have I discovered the fault behind that statement. The answer comes from 1st Timothy 4:32 "Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity. Paul continues on to tell Timothy who is a young believer to read the scriptures in public and to teach the Gospel! We are called to serve no matter our age! This is one of my go-to verses because its so applicable to me and all my peers who are still young. Who said we can't be leaders for Christ? In fact we are urged by Paul to be the example for the believers!!! If your reading this that is what I want you to take to heart- that you can be a strong leader even if you are young! Backtracking to Matthew 25, if we all committed ourselves to following what those verses challenged us with, our world would be changed. The sad thing though is there are few that commit to that, and I am the first to admit that I haven't been following that challenge given to us by the Lord. So what if?? What if we took these verses to heart and changed the world, living it out for Him above and concerning ourselves with reaching out to those who are sick, hungry, thirsty, naked, in prison, those lonely and unwelcomed. 

Lets GO for it! I'm game for sticking to the challenge! Hope you are too!

Run hard to the cross my friends, 

Matt Galvin

No comments:

Post a Comment