Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Joys of Nature and Abiding in Christ

Dear Men, 

I have found myself writing this letter to you all, only to pause and take in the beautiful sight that is by my side. for the natural morning light is streaming through the windows, and the scene is quite calming and peaceful as well as a reminder of God's artistic perfectness. "For his invisible attributes namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have clearly been perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made" (Romans 1:20 Esv). Taking a look at John 15 we can see that Christ calls us to abide in him, for we cannot live without nourishment from him, who helps us bear fruit (5).  He also says earlier in the passage that if we were not to abide in him then we cannot produce fruit on our own (4). Now an interesting element springs up in verse 7, when the Father says that one will be able to obtain anything he desires if he asks Him. But Christ made it clear that not everyone is eligible for this prize, he states at the beginning of the verse that "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you," then one who asks may receive what he desires. However if that case so happens, we probably won't see that person asking for a million dollars. When a person is abiding in Christ, his desires and thoughts are going to be more aligned with Christ's desires and his wishes less materialistic and more Christ centered. As I somewhat repeated myself in that sentence, I find it a necessary to do so because everyone can do a better job with aligning their own motives with Christ's motives. I constantly am catching myself victim to this very subject, I get too caught up in what "Matt wants" to what "Christ wants." So here is my challenge to whoever is reading this- Go slow down and take in Christ's wonderfully designed nature instead of chasing the fast paced world, and Abide in Christ so that you can bear fruit in your life and keep your desires aligned with Christ's own. As I challenge you, so I challenge myself to the same, and I know it will be difficult especially in the summertime, but stick to it brother and fight the fight, finish the race, and keep the faith (2nd Timothy 4:6-8).

In Christ Our Lord, 

Matt Galvin
       +
Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment